Monday, April 4, 2011

Milo Arguments

I got into an argument with my boyfriend this afternoon, and out spewed forth an ugly flood of self-doubt, and challenged morals.

I am a vegan, and while talking to the boy about my new, somewhat more calorie-healthy diet plan, he 'suggested' I drink milo.

Milo has milk in it; I stated this.

He replied that he knew.

So eventually he revealed that he believed I should include dairy products into my diet, even though he KNOWS  I am very much against the dairy industry.

This was my response (edited for flow):


"It's not fair - i can't go around telling people why i'm a vegan, and why they should not eat meat, because it comes across as obnoxious and pushy - but if someone says my values are ridiculous and unhealthy, that's apparently acceptable.
Not fucking fair.

You thought to tell me I should eat something, knowing that that food conflicts with my values.

I am a passionate person - and i'm not saying you aren't - but again, I fight for what I believe in, and I will fight for you If I ever need to; I'm a little mad, a little extremist, but this stuff is important to me, and you should know this.
so I'm sorry for getting angry and arguing with you, but I don't like it when people try to change me - and I don't think many people like being changed, too."

So overall, I may have overreacted - but I describe myself as a poet: I am, as written above, a very passionate individual, and may sometimes come across as a crazy person; but these are the things which define me, and do more good than damage to the people and environment around me (in my opinion).  

I DO need to learn to respect myself.

I DO need to fight for what I believe in.

Luckily for me, it's all fixed now: no lasting problems with the boyfriend.  He is very understanding and respectful, and I know he didn't meant any harm in what he had to say.  He's forgiven - mostly because I like him a lot. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment